Why Learn Chinese / 为什么学中文？
The easy answer to that question is: “Because 20% of the world’s population speaks Chinese”.
Learning to speak Mandarin Chinese is not as difficult as you may have heard. If you’d like to learn Chinese with us, please get in touch.
Boston University recommends Mandarin study for various reasons:
- China is one of the world’s oldest and richest continuous cultures, with a recorded history of over 5000 years old.
- China is the most populous nation in the world, with 1.28 billion people.
- One fifth of the planet speaks Chinese. Mandarin Chinese is the mother tongue of over 873 million people, making it the most widely spoken first language in the world.
- In addition to the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan, Mandarin Chinese is also spoken in the important and influential Chinese communities of Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, the Philippines, and Mongolia.
- China is the second largest economy in the world.
- China is one of largest trading partners of the United States.
- Many US companies do business in China and have long-term investments there.